ahhhh, Sunday funday! Had a wonderful time today with my daughter and a neighbor/friend with her precious young girl, on a “Girl Outing”. Lynn is an amazing person and I have to tell you, she is always bright and fun, interesting, smart, beautiful inside and out, even tempered, but most interesting is her love and dedication to her large family.
She and her husband have 6 gorgeous children, and they love them so dearly that they homeschool them all! Getting to know her and her family has been pure joy with a lot of laughs. She loves to talk about her family, shop, dote on her children, speak about how she loves her husband, She is a wealth of knowledge and experience, her children are kind, respectful and a pleasure to know. She makes you feel instantly at ease when you meet her because she is so genuine and kind.
Have you ever had the opportunity to know a Mother of 6? It is a special thing, and I guarantee you that you will never be bored knowing a person of this caliber. She never speaks poorly of other Moms, she simply SHINES as the Mom that she is. She does not have a selfish bone in her body, and her spirited personality is noteworthy.
We share some of the same interests, and one of them is essential oils and natural beauty products. I can hear her or I saying, at any given time, “I have an oil for that”. We have fussed for months over the perfect natural deodorant recipe. We have even collaborated in her kitchen , mixing, blending oils and butters looking for the fountain of natural B.O. relief. Fun Fact: Lynn is the diffusor Queen, and lovingly places diffusors in her children’s rooms to help them sleep, and in her kitchen to keep peace and harmony.
Today we were wandering aimlessly through a new Trader Joes that had just opened, daughters in tow, and we viewed the backs of packaging (ingredients) some of the beauty products. Albeit Trader Joes is a great grocery store, and their packaging is well done, there were ingredients that are total no – no’s or better yet, why? why? Check here on EWG, (my fave highly knowledgeable data base) if you use any of these products by ALDI GROUP-Trader Joes https://www.ewg.org/skindeep/brand/Trader_Joe%27s/#.WfZlqmhSyUk
Here are a few concerns that seemed to stand out quickly: In their Oil Cleansing Oil, they have unneeded semi toxic ingredients. You don’t need those ingredients, you can easily stabilize a natural oil with a natural ingredient. Rosemary Extract, or Grapefruit Seed Extract are excellent natural preservative stabilizers. The whole reason for using the Oil Cleansing Method is to avoid chemicals in the first place.
Here is an example of a few ingredients in Trader Joe’s Oil Cleanser that just don’t need to be there! I crossed them out so you can see them.
CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, CRAMBE ABYSSINICA SEED OIL, ISOAMYL LAURATE, POLYGLYCERYL-2 SESQUIOLEATE, POLYGLYCERYL-2 CAPRATE, COCOS NUCIFERA (COCONUT) OIL, ARGANIA SPINOSA KERNEL OIL, HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL, ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS (ROSEMARY) LEAF EXTRACT, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, FRAGRANCE.
CAPRYLIC/ CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE – main ingredient – why not just use coconut oil? This man made mixture of glycerin and derivative of coconut oil is a step away from natural and simple – Other LOW concerns: Ecotoxicology
About CAPRYLIC/ CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE: Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride is a mixed triester of glycerin and caprylic and capric acids. Function(s): Fragrance Ingredient; Skin-Conditioning Agent – Occlusive
ISOAMYL LAURATE: Isoamyl Laurate Concerns: Ecotoxicology (environmental toxin)
About ISOAMYL LAURATE: Isoamyl Laurate is an ester of isoamyl alcohol and lauric acid. Function(s): Fragrance Ingredient; Skin-Conditioning Agent – Emollient; SKIN CONDITIONING Synonym(s): 3-METHYLBUTYL DODECANOATE; 3-METHYLBUTYL ESTER DODECANOIC ACID; DODECANOIC ACID, 3-METHYLBUTYL ESTER; DODECANOIC ACID, 3METHYLBUTYL ESTER; ISOPENTYL LAURATE
FRAGRANCE – Why? Who needs synthetic chemical fragrance? Argan and coconut oil smell wonderful on their own. Why mess with nature? They could use essential oils that have real purpose and great properties. HIGH concerns: Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive); Other LOW concerns: Ecotoxicology (Environment) About FRAGRANCE: The word “fragrance” or “parfum” on the product label represents an undisclosed mixture of various scent chemicals and ingredients used as fragrance dispersants such as diethyl phthalate. Fragrance mixes have been associated with allergies, dermatitis, respiratory distress and potential effects on the reproductive system
Trader Joes Soaps –
They sell a goats-camel milk Soap, but sadly, it is made in Izmir, Turkey, and I don’t know what their sanitation is like there, whether or not they have an FDA, the treatment of their animals, or if they even have any regulations on soap-cosmetic making & packaging. Why not use USA soaps and goats milk? I know I would feel better about using it, I will NOT use soap from Turkey. But, that’s just me. I thoroughly checked out this soap in person today, and there is no way (in my humble opinion) that it is all natural. There was a strange bold synthetic fragrance that existed, and since I make soap myself, I know what natural soap smells like. It is clean, soft, pure, with nothing over bearing or harsh.
Trader Joes sells an Ultra Moisturizing Trio Hand Moisturizer Set.
There are more than 7 ingredients in there that should not be, and don’t need to be. The set is great looking with the aluminum tubes and all.
1. CETEARETH-20 HIGH concerns: Contamination concerns; Other LOW concerns: Enhanced skin absorption
About CETEARETH-20: Ceteareth-20 is the polyethylene glycol ether of cetearyl alcohol; may contain potentially toxic impurities such as 1,4-dioxane. Function(s): Surfactant – Cleansing Agent; Surfactant – Solubilizing Agent
2. FRAGRANCE – this one word can host a hundred different ingredients, and that is unsafe for all of us. They don’t have to list all the micro components and their properties. They only have to list the word “Fragrance” Phthalates are highly toxic to the human body. Headaches, mood swings, allergies, illnesses, coughing. Phthalates are plasticisers that have been found to disrupt the endocrine system. Several phthalate compounds have caused reduced sperm counts, testicular atrophy and structural abnormalities in the reproductive systems of male test animals, and some studies also link phthalates to liver cancer
3. C13-14 isoparaffin is derived from petroleum. why use this toxic motor oil ingredient when the hand creams contain some good oils like shea and kukui? This dirty chemical has no place in a “natural” hand
4. BENZYL ALCOHOL – HIGH concerns: Occupational hazards; Other MODERATE concerns: Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive); Other LOW concerns: Data gaps About : Benzyl alcohol is a naturally ocurring and synthetic ingredient used as solvent and preservative; has been associated with contact allergy. (Dermatitis). Function(s): External Analgesic; Fragrance Ingredient; Oral Health Care Drug; Preservative; Solvent; Viscosity Other HIGH concerns: Contamination concerns
5. LAURETH-7: Laureth-7 is a polyethylene glycol-based surfactant; may contain potentially toxic impurities such as 1,4-dioxane.reasing Agent; MASKING OF NATURAL INGREDIENTS or Chemicals ETHYLENE OXIDE
6. POLYACRYLAMIDE – Other HIGH concerns: Contamination concerns, Persistence and bioaccumulation; Other MODERATE concerns: Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive); Other LOW concerns: Data gaps, Ecotoxicology
About : Polyacrylamide is a synthetic polymer of acrylamide. Function(s): Binder; Film Former; Hair Fixative; ANTISTATIC; BINDING; FILM FORMING
7. PEG-100 STEARATE HIGH concerns: Contamination concerns; Other LOW concerns: Data gaps, Ecotoxicology, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
About : PEG-100 Stearate is a polyethylene glycol ester of stearic acid. Function(s): Surfactant – Cleansing Agent (I HAVE TO ASK? Why do I need a cleansing agent in my hand crème?)
8. DIMETHICONE Other MODERATE concerns: Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive); Other LOW concerns: Data gaps, Ecotoxicology
About : Dimethicone (also called polymethylsiloxane) is a silicon-based polymer used as a lubricant and conditioning agent. Function(s): Antifoaming Agent; Skin-Conditioning Agent – Occlusive; Skin Protectant; EMOLLIENT; SKIN CONDITIONING; SKIN PROTECTING
Ok, enough on Trader Joe’s cosmetic – beauty products. I personally feel there are better products out there that do not contain unnecessary toxins. Since it is almost Halloween, I felt like writing a bit about a product line I viewed today in person, that I feel is “masquerading” as natural.
Happy Fall to all!