Say what? That’s right, your V area has a pH of 3.8 to 4.5, and it is really important to help keep it normal, or else you will have “issues” down there.
What exactly is pH value and what does it have to do with odor or itching?
pH is a scale that indicates the acidity and alkalinity. The range goes from 0 to 14, with 0 being the most acidic and 14 being the most alkaline. Water is pH 7, which is generally referred to as pH neutral. A healthy vaginal pH value is somewhere between 3.8 and 4.5, well into the acidic range. The cause for this are the good bacteria living in the vagina that produce lactic acid that reduces the pH value.
The importance of your vaginal pH ?
The acidic environment of the vagina is a natural barrier to infection and irritation, since it represses the growth of bad bacteria which prefer less of an acidic environment. This means that as long as our good bacteria count is high and the vaginal pH is acidic, bad bacteria have a very slim chance of overgrowing, making the chance of infection low.
As soon as the vaginal pH value is increased above the value of 4.5, bad bacteria take the opportunity to develop and grow, eventually causing an infection. This can result in symptoms such as discharge, odor, itching and other vaginal discomforts. Changes in pH value are often connected to bacterial vaginosis.
What can cause a pH problem and odor? Here is a list for you.
Antibiotics. These medications kill not only the bad bacteria, but also the good ones that are responsible for keeping vagina acidic and healthy. While using antibiotics or after, use a product that stimulates your good bacteria. (like my feminine COOKIE cleansing soap!)
This 75% organic all natural round soap will quickly become a best friend of yours. It is soothing, creamy lathering, smells like a cookie due to the Apple Cider Vinegar and Rhassoul clay + goats milk. I have sold thousands of these since I came out with it a year ago. Women rave about it, because it really works to get the proper pH back, and to give you a sweet healthy fresh smell. It turns out that the store bought products such as Summers Eve, are loaded with nasty toxins and awful perfumes that make your V area very unhappy. Check out the reviews at my Etsy Store
Cookie Soap Feminine Hygiene pH
This round soap that smells faintly of a cookie will be your new bestie! It is a natural and highly effective solution to a real problem called vaginal irritation, itching, odor. This little beauty lathers nicely, makes you feel very fresh and clean for the whole day, and encourage the pH of your vaginal area to stay below 5. Soothing relief, NO STINGING OR IRRITATION FREE SHIPPING ! ships in 1 day M-F
Breastfeeding and menopause =reduction in estrogen levels – for instance, breastfeeding or menopause ( read about menopause and its symptoms) can reduce the numbers of lactobacilli, and eventually cause an increase in vaginal pH (thus, reduction in acidity). If you are breastfeeding or are in menopause, try a probiotic product that can stimulate the good bacteria to grow and keep your pH value in the healthy range.
Intercourse can cause problems (sorry !). The alkaline pH value of semen can disturb the acidic environment of the vagina and stimulate BV-causing bacteria (bacterial vaginosis) also known as ITCHY and irritated. You may notice this by a strong odor after having unprotected sex. If this happens to you, consider using a condom to prevent discomforts. Better yet, consider these intimate hygiene facts and tips.
After period odor – Blood has a higher pH (7+) than you regular vaginal canal (3.8-4.5) so your period will throw off your pH and increase bacteria levels during and after your cycle.
1. Drink apple cider vinegar! Make a little cup- shot of 1 TB ACV, Warm Water, honey, Lemon juice squirt. Drink it ( 2X) daily and help your body adjust pH , plus it has dozens of other benefits you can read about on Google.
2. wear rayon or modal panties, and at night sleep with nothing on your bottom :}
3. They say sex (semen) & friction can cause a pH imbalance and so think about using a condom?
4. Take a lukewarm bath about 10″ high and add 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup vinegar (distilled or ACV) Swish it around and then get in for 10 minutes.
5. You can apply Organic PLAIN yogurt directly to the vagina area, wait 5 minutes, and rinse off in shower or bath to get some relief.
6. Use My Cookie soap and or a my foaming wash! follow with the feminine Mist Spray, and you can be odor + itch free all day
6. Finally, and IMPORTANTLY, take a probiotic every day in the form of a pill, I love one called Pearls, it is so tiny plus easy to swallow. Helps keep you regular too! I have used it for many years, and so have my daughters.